Saturday, July 31, 2010

Happy National Dance Day.

You know, a year ago, this day was big to me but it didn't have the meaning it does now. Now I can truly say that I am a dancer. Just a dancer and nothing else. It defines me, it is my life and honestly, I couldn't be happier.
A year ago I was just an English major. Sure I planned to keep dancing but I didn't see it as being a big part of my life. I thought I would do the sensible thing and maybe do a few dance related things after college but then I would move on and get a "real" job. Ha.
After first semester this year I knew I wasn't happy. My one dance class wasn't enough and it hurt me when people would ask if I was a dance major and I would have to say no. And then they would ask "Why?" To be honest, I never had an answer. I just used the excuse that I didn't go to the audition but then it struck me, why am I not a dance major?
So then I went through the change and here I am now. Again I say that I couldn't be happier. Even though I have no idea what I'm going to do with my future, besides working for Disney, and besides the fact that sometimes it is hard to get up in the morning and have to put a bun in my very stubborn hair, I'm still happy. In dance class I work my ass off and I want to be better, I want to get better. I want to be the best that I can be and its nice to know that I have people supporting me. I have made some wonderful friends and I feel like I belong in the arts department now.
Anyway, Happy National Dance Day. Celebrate just moving, freeing yourself. Feel the movement and just let your spirit fly. Its a wonderful feeling and if I can't share this with you everyday then this is my chance. So go, dance like no one is watching.

1 comment:

Katie said...

im glad you get to dance alll the time now. you are one of my fave dancers!
xx